This Turkish flatbread is quick and easy to prepare and oh so tasty. I prepared this delicious unleavened breads together with
my nephew Mika and the result where 2 beautiful loaves of bread that we and the rest of the family enjoyed the same day. While the children just munched on the still warm slices of fresh bread the others cut the bread into thin slices and added different kinds of tasty toppings to satisfy the taste buds.
Home baked bread tastes usually just so good and this bread was no exception. The recipe is really easy to follow which made it perfect to get my nephew Mika and his little sister Lya involved.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: at 8 to 9 minutes
Resting time: 130 minutes
Total time needed: at least 2 H 25 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: easy
This recipe was inspired by Kruemelmonster78 and you can find his/her recipe in German language here.
- 1.21 pounds / 550 grams wheat flour
- 0.35 oz. / 10 grams ground sea salt
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 0.35 o. / 10 grams sugar
- 1/2 cube fresh yeast or 0.35 oz. / 10 grams dry yeast
- 1.5 cups / 360 ml lukewarm water
- garlic powder to taste (optional)
- sesame seeds or poppy seeds (optional)
- Add all ingredients except the egg to a large bowl and knead them well for about 10 minutes till you get an elastic ball of dough. (If the dough is to sticky add some more flour while kneading till it doesn't stick anymore to your hands)
- Add the dough into a lightly greased large bowl, cover with a moist cloth and let it rest for at least 90 minutes
- The dough should double at least in size during this time. Once the time is up take the dough out of the bowl and cut it into two evenly sized pieces
- Gently form the pieces into oval shapes without pushing to much gas out of them.
- Place the 2 dough pieces on a baking tray that has been covered with baking paper
- Use a finger to press some holes into the the dough
- Add the raw egg and the bit of water to a small bowl and mix well
- Gently brush the surface of the dough pieces with the egg and water mixture
- Sprinkle sesame seeds or seeds of your choice liberally over the surface of the dough and let the raw breads rest for another 20 minutes
- While the dough is resting preheat the oven to 250 degrees Celsius / 482 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once time is up place the baking tray in the middle of the oven and bake for 8 to 9 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let the flatbreads cool down for at least 15 minutes and enjoy fresh.
Return to the Home page
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.