Spaghetti carbonara is amongst the most famous traditional Italian pasta dishes and originated apparently in the Central Italian province of Lazio which includes the capital of Rome.
One tradition claims that this pasta dish with the additional main ingredients of bacon, hard cheese and eggs was invented by charcoal burners who added them to their pasta to enjoy a hearty and tasty meal during their brief lunch breaks. Others claim that the influence of the North American soldiers that had spent some time in Italy towards the end of the 2nd world war. There might be a little of truth in both. Be that as it may, one thing is for certain, Spaghetti carbonara is a very easy and quick to prepare pasta dish that if full of savory flavors.
This recipe was inspired by snoopy34. You can find his recipe in German language here
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: at least 15 minutes
Resting time: 0 minutes
Total time needed: at least 30 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: standard
- 500 gram / 17.6 oz spaghetti
- 200 gram / 7 oz diced bacon
- 100 gram grated parmesan cheese (use other hard cheese that you might have at hand)
- 4 egg yolks, whipped
- 50 ml olive oil
- fresh parsley to garnish
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
- 2 tsp. of dried origanum
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place egg yolks into a bowl and whisk them with fork or egg beater.
- Add chopped chili to eggs (optional)
- Add most of the grated cheese to the eggs and mix well. It should become a paste like consistency.
- Add chopped parsley and origanum on top of the egg-cheese paste, cover with a cloth and put aside
- In a large pot heat 3 to 4 liters of water and bring it to the boil,
- Add a little olive oil and some salt to the pot. (This will help the prevent the spaghetti from sticking together)
- Once the water is boiling rapidly add the pasta to the water and with a long fork shake all the pasta a little under water. This will help the spaghetti to separate from each other and not to boil in a clump.
- If the water stopped boiling after you added the pasta cover the pot briefly with a lid to get the water back to the boil. Once it starts boiling again either remove the lid completely or just cover the pot partially.
- You want the pasta boil gently. Boil the spaghetti according to the instructions on the packet. Usually around 8 to 10 minutes
- In the meantime lightly fry bacon and garlic in a large pan for a few minutes. Don't let garlic get to dark or bacon become to crispy
- Once the pasta is done, scoop about 3 tbs. of the hot water into a small cup or bowl and keep aside for a moment
- Pore the spaghetti into a colander or a mesh, and just let them drain for a few seconds before you pore them back into the pot.
- Now quickly add the fried bacon and garlic, the small bowl of water you put aside and the cheese and egg mix to the pasta
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix pasta and carbonara ingredients well and place into a bowl or on a plate
- Sprinkle some of the left over cheese on top and serve hot
Note: It is best to get all the ingredients in place before you start cooking. You will have to work on 2 hot plates of the stove at the same time if you want to get the pasta and the bacon garlic mix done at the same time.
Easy Garlic Pasta with Fresh Tomato Sauce
Quick and Easy Hot Dogs
A tasty and healthy burger without meat
Brinjal Burger A tasty and healthy burger without meat
Return to the home page
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.