(pickled Herring in a cream, yoghurt and fresh herbs marinade)
Sahnehering is a traditional German dish with either salted or pickled Herrings fillets, apples and onion in a spiced marinade of cream, yogurt and fresh herbs. We used Bismarckhering Fillets
for this recipe but you can as well use Baltic herrings or matjes fillets. Sahnehering is as well known as Heringsstipp was known in the 19th century as poor people's food but when the German chancellor Otto Graf Bismarck developed a liking for Herring it became quite popular especially in northern Germany and the Rhineland where it is often enjoyed on days of fasting like Good Friday for example. The dish is traditionally served with Pellkartoffeln / jacket potatoes that are peeled just before the meal.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: at least 30 minutes
Resting time: at least 2 hours
Total time needed: at least 2 H 45 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: easy
This recipe was inspired by Heinzelfrau. You can find her recipe in German language here.
- 300 gram / 10.oz. Bismarck Herring fillets (Optional - Use matjes or Baltic herring instead)
- 150 ml / 5 oz. fresh cream
- 200 ml / full cream yogurt (optional - use low fat yoghurt instead)
- 1 large crisp sweet and sour apple for example pink cripps / pink lady or granny smith, seeded and diced (optional - peel it if you prefer)
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
- 2 tsp. medium hot mustard (optional - use hot mustard instead if you prefer)
- 3 sweet and sour gherkins, diced
- 1/4 cup gherkin pickle juice
- 1 tbs. mixed dried herbs (optional - use fresh chopped dill instead)
- 1 tbs. Maggi - all purpose seasoning
- 1/2 cucumber, diced or thinly sliced
- 5 tbs. fresh chives, chopped
- 500 gram / 1.1 lbs. waxy potatoes, boiled and diced
- 2 tsp. sugar
- Chop apple, onion, garlic and gherkins and add them to a large bowl
- Add fresh cream, yogurt, mustard, herbs, Maggi and pickle juice to the bowl and mix all ingredients well
- Add herring fillets to the bowl and gently mix them with the marinade
- Boil potatoes with their skins till they are done. Depending on their size this should take about 25 to 30 minutes. After 25 minutes take a sharp knife and check the largest potato. Prick it with the knife, if it pushes easily through the whole potato they are done and you can take them of the heat.
- Drain potatoes and let them cool down for at least10 minutes
most of the chives onto the Sahnehering fillets and the marinade, mix
all ingredients, cover the bowl and let it rest for at least 2 hours.
This will allow the flavors to blend
2 hours, chop cucumber and place some of it on the plates, sprinkle
with the remaining chives ( optional - and a few drops of Maggi)
- Peel potatoes and add them to the plate together with the Sahnehering
usually finish all the herring and potatoes in no time. So be warned
once you got the taste for it there is no way back :-) !
Red Herring Salad
Cape Farm Style pickled Fish
Return to the Home Page
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.