This tasty and spicy chicken stew with sweet peppers has some West African influences. It is slowly cooked in a sauce of
ripe tomatoes and served with rice and cooked okra. I love chicken
recipes and when I was introduced by a Ghanaian friend to some of the West African ways to prepare chicken it ignited my desire to prepare a stew this way whenever I get a chance. an integral part of this recipe is Okra as well known as okro, ochro, binda, gumbo or ladies fingers. These green seed pods that are unfortunately not regularly available in both Cape Town and Radevormwald my South African and German home towns and are quite difficult to grow there as well. I tried several times but didn't get more than 2 to 3 fruit pods for all my efforts. So on the rare occasions that okra is available at the spice shops or vegetable market I always buy some and use add them to a delicious chicken dish.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: at least 60 minutes
Resting time: 0 minutes
Total time needed: at least 1 H 20 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: standard
Chicken stew with rice and okra strips on a plate
- Olive oil for frying
- 3 chicken breasts on the bone, skinned and chopped into bite sized pieces. (Optional - debone the meat if you prefer to cook the bones as well)
- 4 ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 100 ml / 3.4 oz tomato paste
- 2 heaped tbs. peanut butter
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 orange habanero chili and 1 red bishops crown chili, chopped fine, (If you don't have those chilies available replace with 2 red cayenne or 4 red jalapeno peppers or chili of your choice
- 3 to 5 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 green sweet peppers, deseeded and cut into long slices
- 1 tbs. apricot jam, (optional - use brown sugar instead)
- 1 bay leaf
- 300 gram / 10.6 oz okra
- paprika powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Warm up the oil in a large pot on medium heat
- Sprinkle chicken pieces on all sides with salt, pepper and paprika powder
- Fry chicken pieces on all sides for about 5 minutes
- Add onions, stir and braise them till onions starting to change color
- Add sweet peppers, garlic and chopped chili, stir and braise for another minute
- Next add the tomatoes, tomato paste peanut butter, apricot jam, stock cube, salt and pepper, mix all ingredients, cover with the lid and bring to the boil.
- Once stew starts to boil, reduce the heat and let it gently simmer for 45 minutes,
- In the meantime prepare steamed rice and okra
- How to prepare okra. Add a cup of water to a pot, 1/2 a teaspoon of salt, the chopped okra, bring to the boil and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Okra will be ready when the veggies have become soft and the liquid in the pot will have a somewhat sticky consistency.
Mild Ethiopian Beef Stew
Algerian Coriander Chicken
Algerian Coriander Chicken
Bombay Chicken Curry
Bombay Chicken Curry with Steamed Rice and Carrot Tomato Sambal
This is okra
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.