homemade potato salad
Like many people I believe that homemade potato salad just tastes so much better than any comparable products that are commercially available. Apart from tasting
better homemade dishes are usually healthier as well as they don't contain
artificial colorants and chemical additives to preserve them for a longer shelf life. The recipe I am sharing on this page is based on my mums homemade potato salad recipe which has been used countless times since my childhood. Apart from potatoes it's other main ingredients are a tasty fresh homemade remoulade (garlic mayonnaise with fresh herbs), hardboiled eggs and fried mushrooms. From the basic recipe you can add any ingredients that might suit your personal taste.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: at least 30 minutes
Resting time: 30 minutes
Total time needed: at least 1h 30 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: standard
moms homemade potato salad
Ingredients for moms homemade potato salad
For the potato salad
- Oil for frying
- 1kg potatoes
- 7 eggs
- 250 grams fresh button mushrooms
- 3 to 4 tbs. homemade mayonnaise or remoulade
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the
potatoes into quarters or halves, depending how big they are and add to a big
pot with water.
- The pot should be filled with enough water to cover the eggs as well once you add them a little later.
the pot with the lid and bring to the boil. Once the water is boiling
vigorously turn heat down to medium and let the potatoes boil for about 10
- Turn up the heat again and add the eggs to the pot.
- Once the water starts to boil
again turn heat down to medium / low, cover with the lid and let potatoes and
eggs boil for another 12 to 15 minutes.
- After 12 minutes pierce a few of the
larger potatoes with a sharp knife. If the blade pushes into the potatoes
easily and comes out clean once you pull it out the potatoes are done.
potatoes and eggs into a colander and move eggs with a tablespoon quickly into
another bowl with very cold water. Leave them in the cold water for a minute. After a minute place them into another pot with cold water and let them completely cool down there for a few minutes. This process should make it easier to peel the eggshells of later.
eggs and potatoes are cooling down add some frying oil to a pan and let it heat up.
- Once the oil is hot add the halved
or sliced mushrooms into the pan and fry for a few minutes stirring them
regularly till they are nicely done on all sides.
- Take the mushrooms out of the
pan and put to one side.
- Cut the potatoes into bite sized pieces and give them into a big bowl
- Peel and slice the eggs and place them to the bowl as well.
- Next add the cooled down mushrooms to the bowl
- Add as much of the homemade mayonnaise as you like (we usually use about 4 tbs. ) and carefully mix it with the potatoes, eggs and mushrooms.
- If you feel the need add salt and pepper to taste
- Cover it with a towel or cheesecloth for a few minutes till the mushrooms have cooled down completely
- Finally cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and store in the fridge
It will be ready for consumption immediately but if you prepare it a day or at least a few hours in advance to mature it will even taste better.
Mom's famous cucumber soup
More German Recipes
Return to the home page
History of Potato Salad
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.