Vegan Dal Makhani
Vegan Dal makhani is a tasty and desired dish from the Punjab region of the Indian subcontinent. Punjab is located in the North East of India on the border of Pakistan. The dish is usually prepared
without meat and can therefore as well be enjoyed by people that are vegetarians or vegans.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: at least 84 minutes
Resting time: at least 8 Hours
Total time needed: at least 9 H 44 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: standard
Vegan Dal Makhani
- 3/4 cup black lentils, soaked
- 1/2 cup of red kidney beans, soaked
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 5 cm / 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 black cardamom, skin cracked
- 3 green cardamoms, skin cracked
- 1/2 tsp, coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 curry leaves
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2.5 cm / 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1 red cayenne chilli, finely chopped
- 1 green cayenne chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, grated
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. granulated vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 tsp. fenugreek leaves, crushed
- Add lentils and kidney beans to a small pot and soak in water for at least 8 hours
- Wash lentils and beans, drain the water and place them back into a small pot with lid.
- Add 3 cups of water, cover with lid and bring it to the boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer lentils and beans for about 30 minutes
- Take the pot of the heat, keep lentils and beans in the stock water they boiled in for the time being
- Add butter to a large skillet or pot and melt it
- Add cinnamon, cloves, green and black cardamom, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, bay leaf and curry leaves and roast for 2 minutes in the butter, stirring them regularly
- Add the onions and braise them on medium heat for 10 minutes or till they have softened and become golden brown
- Add garlic and ginger and braise for 2 minutes, constantly stirring the contents of the pot
- Next add the chillies, tomatoes, tomato paste and nutmeg, cover partially with the lid and braise all for 5 minutes
- Add salt, vegetable stock and lentils, beans with the stock, stir all well, and let it gently boil in a partially covered pot for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the coconut cream and simmer dal for another 10 minutes or till it has begun to thicken again, having a consistency of a thick soup
- Finally add the fenugreek leaves, briefly stir them in, cover pot with the lid, switch of the heat and let the dal stand for another 5 minutes on the warm stove plate
Serve Vegan Dal hot as is, with steamed rice or a slice of fresh bread.
Dhal with Sweet Potato and Chard
Vegan Lentil Tomato Soup
Return to the Home Page
History of Dal Makhani
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.