Mexican Burritos Recipe
This Mexican burritos recipe was a mouthwatering affair. Mexican food is known for its diversity, spiciness and
richness. The Mexican food history goes back thousands of
years to the great cultures of the Maya and the Aztecs. While the Maya amongst others introduced the wide use of Maize the Aztecs are well known for the use of amazing food items such as beans, Avocados, Vanilla, Cacao, Tomatoes, Sweet Potatoes and Chili peppers to name just a few. all of those are household items all over the world these days. Another great influence on the Mexican cuisine was the arrival of Europeans in the 16th century who introduced sheep, cattle and pork to the country.
This recipes main ingredients are beef mince, onions, bell peppers, sweet corn kernels and peeled tomatoes. Together with a great spice mix, the heat of Carolina Reaper chili and the mellowness of sour cream this is definitely a winner.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: at least 45 minutes
Resting time: 0 minutes
Total time needed: at least 1 Hour
Grade of Difficulty: standard
This recipe was inspired by a recipe from "SallySauer". I amended it to suit my personal taste. You can find her recipe in German language here.
Mexican Burritos Recipe
- 4 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 500 gram / 1.1 pounds beef mince
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 2.5 cm / 1 inch dice
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 2.5 cm / 1 inch dice
- 1 x 410 gram / 14.8 oz. can sweet corn kernels
- 1 x 410 gram / 14.8 oz. diced and peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp. Carolina Reaper chili powder
- 1 tsp. granulated beef stock
- 1 tsp. palm sugar (optional - use brown sugar instead)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 200 gram / 7.05 oz. cheddar cheese or cheese of your choice
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Tomato chutney as a side dish
- Heat oil in a large skillet / pan and add mince
- Fry mince on all sides for about 5 minutes or till it is beginning to brown
- Remove mince and place in a bowl for later use
- Add onions to the pan, reduce heat to medium and saute them for 7 minutes or till they are beginning to brown, stirring them frequently
- add mince, peppers and garlic and saute for another 3 minutes, stirring the ingredients frequently
- Add sweet corn, peeled tomatoes, salt, pepper, cumin, Carolina Reaper powder, coriander powder, beef stock and palm sugar, stir well and bring sauce to the boil, reduce the heat and let the sauce simmer gently for about 15 minutes or till nearly all the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally
- In the meantime prepare the wheat tortillas
- Take the mince sauce of the stove
- Spread some sour cream on each tortilla, place some of the mince sauce on the tortilla, add some grated cheese and a few coriander leaves and roll tortilla up
- Place burritos next to each other onto a baking dish that is covered with baking paper
- Sprinkle some more cheese over the tortilla rolls and place in the preheated oven ( 200 degrees Celsius / 392 Fahrenheit ) and bake for about 5 minutes or till the cheese has melted
- Remove from oven and serve burritos hot with sour cream, pumpkin tomato chutney and coriander leaves or side dishes of your choice.
Quick and Easy Wheat Tortillas
Return to the Home Page
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.