Baked vegetables are amongst the easy vegetarian recipes that have gained popularity over the years. This mediterranean vegetable recipe is no exception. It's combination of fresh
vegetables, herbs, fragrant spices, a yoghurt dressing and a sauce from peeled tomatoes works beautifully. This low fat dish is healthy easy to prepare,tasty and very satisfying.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: at least 30 minutes
Resting time: 0 minutes
Total time needed: at least 50 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: easy
The recipe was inspired by Demma, you can find her recipe in German language here.
Mediterranean Baked Vegetables
- 2 green bell peppers, deseeded and cut into wide stripes
- 5 small marrows, half peeled lengthwise and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium sized eggplant, half peeled lengthwise and cut into 1 cm / 2 fifth of an inch slices
- 3 medium sized potatoes, half peeled lengthwise and cut into 1 cm / 2 fifth of an inch slices cm
- 2 medium sized onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 sticks of celery, leaves removed and cut into 1/2 cm / fifth of an inch thick sticks
- 3 carrots, scraped and cut into 1/2 cm / fifth of an inch thick sticks
- 1 head of broccoli cut into small florets
- 1 small cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1 tin of peeled tomatoes
- 100 ml / 3.4 oz plain double cream yoghurt, (or more if you like)
- Olive oil
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 long sprigs of rosemary
- 2 tbs. dried origanum
- 2 tbs. of finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. paprika powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mediterranean vegetables on a baking tray
- Place all vegetables except tomatoes, thyme and rosmary in a baking tray, sprinkle generously with salt, pepper and paprika powder
- Pore at least 3 tbs. of extra virgin olive oil over the vegetables ( a little more is even better) and mix them well so all get covered with the spices and oil
- Preheat oven with top and bottom heat to 200 degrees Celsius / 392 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place baking tray with vegetables in the middle shelf and bake them for 15 minutes
- Remove the baking tray, turn the vegetables and place back into the oven for another 15 minutes or till vegetables are beginning to change color and become a little charred
- While the vegetables are in the oven prepare the yoghurt dip and the tomato sauce
- Place the yoghurt in a small bowl and add a chopped clove of garlic and the chopped dill to it, mix well and cover with a kitchen towel
- Add the peeled tomatoes to a frying pan, turn stove onto medium heat till tomatoes begin to boil
- Spice the sauce with cumin powder, dried oregano, salt and pepper
- Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and let the tomatoes gently simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring them once or twice during this time
- Once the baked vegetables and tomato sauce are done, switch of the stove, remove vegetables from oven and serve hot on plates
- Garnish with tomato sauce and yoghurt dip and enjoy
Return to Home page
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.