BAKED HONEY APPLES
FRIED BACON AND FETA
Baked honey apples with fried bacon and feta parcels is a very special apple recipe. The combination of a crisp apple with succulent fried bacon, feta, honey and herbs is quite unique and sends your taste buds into heaven :-)
The recipe originated in France and if you want you can replace the feta with goats cheese. I got inspired to cook my own version of this recipe by "Koelkast" whom I really value as great cook. You can find his recipe in German language here
Apart from being really delicious this recipe is very easy and quick to prepare, which can be quite helpful if you are pressed for time and you want to serve something special to your family or unexpected guests.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Resting time: 0 minutes
Total time needed: 30 minutes
Baked Honey Apples
Fried Bacon and Feta
- 200 gram / 7 oz. feta cheese, cut into 2 cm thick slices - (optional cut edges of so cheese slices will fit on top of apple rings)
- 2 large crispy sweet and sour apples, cut into 1 to 2 cm / 0.4 to 0.8 inch thick rings and deseeded. ( optional - eat rings from both ends and use only the remaining apple rings for the honey apple towers)
- 5 to 6 slices of bacon
- a few lettuce leaves
- 1 tsp. of honey for each honey apple tower
- A little olive oil to grease the baking tray
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Dried origanum
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbs. Balsamic vinegar, olive oil and mustard dressing (optional - or a sweet and sour salad dressing of your choice)
- Add bacon strips to a pan without oil, turn hot plate to medium heat and fry the bacon on both sides crispy
- Remove bacon from pan and put aside for the time being
- Fry apple rings on both sides in the remaining bacon fat in the pan till they are slightly brown and nearly done. This should take about 5 minutes
- Place apple rings on a greased baking tray and sprinkle it with a little thyme and origanum
- Add a slice of bacon and feta and sprinkle with a little more thyme and origanum
- Add another slice of bacon and feta and sprinkle them with salt, pepper, thyme and origanum
- Carefully cover each honey apple tower with a teaspoon of honey
- Place baking tray in the middle shelf of the preheated oven (180 degrees Celsius / 356 degrees Fahrenheit) and grill them (top heat only) till the cheese begins to melt and turn slightly beige / brown
- Remove the baking tray with apple towers immediately to prevent the cheese from burning
- Serve each tower hot as is or on a lettuce leave
- Some of the honey might have run down onto the baking tray. Take a tablespoon or egg lifter and scoop honey up and drizzle it over the top of each baked honey apple tower.
- Pour 1/2 tablespoon of salad dressing over each tower and enjoy
Broccoli Honey Chicken
Chicken Schnitzel with Green Asparagus and Veggie Combo
Return to the home page
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.