Bellville Baked Broccoli
I made this baked broccoli recipe for a birthday party in Stickland / Bellville and seeing a group of lovely ladies appreciating the finished product was all the reward I needed. Broccoli is regarded
as a superfood. It is full of vitamins, protein and minerals and cholesterol free as well. For a full list of nutritional benefits of broccoli click here
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
Resting time: 0 minutes
Total time needed: at least 1 H 20 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: standard
Bellville Baked Broccoli Recipe
- 1500 gram / 3.2 lbs fresh broccoli, cut into small florets, the stems removed of tough skin and diced
- 1 liter / 4.1 cups fresh full cream milk
- 80 gram / 2.8 oz unsalted butter
- 3 medium sized onions, chopped fine
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
- 12 tbs. wheat flour
- 300 gram / 10.6 oz cheddar, grated
- 2 cubes of beef or oxtail stock (enough for 1 liter)
- 6 tbs. of bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. regular paprika powder
- 1 tbs. origanum
- 1/2 tsp. of cayenne chilli powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Bellville Baked Broccoli Recipe
- Depending on the size of your oven fill 1 to 2 baking trays with the chopped broccoli, florets facing up
- In a large sauce pan or pot melt butter on medium heat
- Add onion and garlic, cover with lid, reduce the heat to low and gently simmer onions and garlic for about 5 minutes until onions become translucent.
- Add the flour and using a strong wooden spoon mix flour and butter well. It will soon become a very thick paste
- Add about a quarter of the milk and using a whisk beat the butter onion mix to blend with the milk, making sure there will be no lumps and it won't stick to the bottom of the pan
- Add the stock cubes and while constantly beating the sauce slowly add the rest of the milk in small portions
- Once your sauce is smooth and has a nice thickish but still runny consistency add salt, pepper, paprika powder, origanum, chilli and half of the grated cheese
- Blend all ingredients well
- Sample the sauce and if needed adjust seasoning to suit your taste
- Take sauce of the heat and pore it evenly over broccoli, making sure all the florets are covered
- Cover broccoli with breadcrumbs and remaining cheese
- Preheat (top and bottom heat) the oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 356 degrees Fahrenheit, cover surface of baking tray with tin foil and place on the middle shelf of your oven
- Bake the dish for 25 minutes, remove the tin foil and bake it for another 25 to 30 minutes, keeping an eye on the surface of the bake, the cheese should melt and begin to brown. If you think it might become to dark, move it to a lower shelf of your oven
- Once the time is up remove the baked broccoli from the oven and using a fork or a pointed knife check if the ingredients are cooked through. The knife should easily push through the florets.
It should preferably be enjoyed hot but tastes as well very nice after is has cooled down.
Mediterranean Baked Vegetables
in Yoghurt Dressing and fresh Tomato Sauce
Baked Baby Leeks and Vegetable Combo
Return from "Baked Broccoli Recipe" to the Home Page
The above recipe was inspired by Nagi from Recipetineats. You can find her recipe here
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.