Venison Rogan Josh
This Venison Rogan josh recipe is packed with fragrant spices and was a head-on success with the whole family. Rogan josh is said to have been originated in Persia and to have been adapted and perfected in the north Indian state of Kashmir.
Translated into English Rogan Josh means "cooked in oil at extreme heat". It is one of the signatures dishes of the Kashmiri cuisine today and is usually prepared with goat or lamb meat. However we do have a special liking for venison and prepared our recipe with some fresh venison pieces that where cooked on the bone.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: at least 90 minutes
Resting time: 0 minutes
Total time needed: at least 120 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: standard
Venison Rogan Josh
Venison Rogan Josh ingredients
- 4 tbsp. macadamia oil
- 2 medium sized onions,
- 500 grams / 1.1 pounds
- 8 dried shiitake
mushrooms / rehydrated for at least 2 hours
- 10 grams / 0.35 oz.
- 12 cloves
- 12 green cardamom
pods, skins cracked
- 1/2 tsp. mace
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 3 black cardamom,
- 1 tbsp. asafetida
- 3 large cloves of
- 5 cm / 2 inch piece of
fresh ginger, crushed
- 1 cup venison stock
- Optional Use mutton stock instead
- 2 tbsp. Kashmiri chili
- 5 grams / 0.176
oz. turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 can ripe peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 2 tsp. fennel powder
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 3 handful of fresh
coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Heat up macadamia oil
in a large pot or skillet on medium hot heat
- Saute onions until
they are golden brown (app. 8 to 10 minutes) stirring regularly
- Remove onions from pot
- Increase heat and let remaining oil get really hot
- Add venison pieces and
saute on all sides till they are sealed and browned. stirring a few times
during this process
- Add shiitake mushrooms (optional), garlic and fresh ginger and saute for 2 minutes
- Add onions, venison stock, and all spices to the skillet, stir well, reduce heat, cover with lid and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add peeled tomatoes, stir, cover with lid again and gently simmer for at least another 70 minutes but rather 90 minutes, stirring the curry frequently
- Once the time is up sprinkle 3/4 of the fresh coriander leaves into the curry and stir briefly, switch of heat and let the pot stand closed for 5 minutes
- Serve Venison Rogan Josh hot with steamed basmati rice and freshly baked bread
- Optional - If you wan to mellow down the taste of the Rogan josh add 1/2 cup of fresh cream to the sauce before you serve it. This gives the curry a completely different and lovely taste as well.
Return to the Home Page
History of Rogan Josh
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.