A Spanish omelette as well known as Spanish tortilla and Spanish omelet is a healthy dish usually prepared with potatoes, eggs and any vegetables that are at hand. It can be made in a deep oven
proof pan or a casserole dish and when it is done can be enjoyed in thick slices hot or cold.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Resting time: 10 minutes
Total time needed: at least 1 H 15 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: standard
This recipe was inspired by the book "Healthy eating for lower cholesterol" by Daniel Green and Catherine Collins. It is a really nice book with lots of helpful advise, beautiful pictures and tasty and healthy recipes.
Slice of Spanish omelet on a blue plate
Partially cooked potato, onion, garlic and spinach for the Spanish tortilla
- 2 large potatoes, thinly sliced or grated
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced or grated
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach or chard, roughly chopped and stems removed
- 6 tbs. of Olive oil
- 6 eggs
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
- Salt, pepper and paprika powder to taste
- 1/2 red cayenne chili pepper, chopped fine
- Heat up some olive oil to a large pan, add the spinach and cover with a lid.
- Fry the spinach for a few minutes turning it a few times till it softens up and reduces in size
- Remove from pan and place in a colander to cool down and drain
- Add some more oil to the pan and on medium heat fry the potatoes from all sides for about 10 minutes or till they are starting to brown
- Add onion and garlic to the pan and fry them till onions become soft and translucent
- Remove onion and potato
- mix from pan and place it into a large bowl to cool down a little
- Take the spinach and for it into a ball, With your hands squeeze as much liquids out of the spinach as you can
- Separate the dried spinach leaves and add them to the potato onion mixture
- Crack the eggs into a casserole dish and whisk them for a minute
- Add salt, freshly ground pepper and paprika powder to the eggs and pore them over the potatoes, onions and spinach
- Mix all well and pore the omelette ingredients into the casserole dish
- Place the casserole into the preheated oven (200 degrees Celsius / 392 Fahrenheit) with top and bottom heat and let it bake for 20 minutes
- After the time has elapsed check the surface of the omelet. If it is already nice and brown, cover it with some tin foil to prevent it from burning and let the spinach omelette bake for another 10 to 15 minutes
- Switch of the heat and carefully remove the hot dish from the oven.
Use a big sharp knife and a flat slotted spoon to cut slices of and serve hot. It can as well be stored in the fridge and enjoyed as a cold snack the next day.
Return to the home page
Chicken casserole with mushrooms and a cream and cider sauce
Potatoes with Eggs and spinach
Casserole Recipes from around the world
Infos about Spanish omelette
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.