Shuba Dressed Herring
"Shuba dressed herring" is a delicious salad with fish, pickles, onions, vegetables, eggs and potatoes that originated in Russia. It is now popular in Eastern and Western Europe.
The ingredients are placed in layers on top of each other and beautifully decorated, with beetroot usually adding a lot of its significant color to the salad. The dish is as well known as "Herring under a fur coat" or in German Hering im Pelzmantel". It is a healthy and tasty main dish for any occasion.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: at least 25 minutes
Resting time: at least 120 minutes
Total time needed: at least 3 Hours
Grade of Difficulty: standard
This recipe was inspired by x-woman. You can find her recipe in German language here.
Shuba Dressed Herring
- 4 potatoes, quartered, boiled and mashed
- 250 gram / 8.8 oz. pickled herring, finely diced
- 3 carrots, peeled, boiled and diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely diced and added to the onions
- 5 eggs, hard boiled and finely diced
- 10 slices of pickled beetroot, (optional used 1/2 cup of beetroot juice to add more color to your salad)
- 2 small gherkins, cut into slices
- 1 cup of homemade mayonnaise
- A few small white pickled onions
- 1 knob of butter
- 1/2 cup of milk
- Add potatoes, carrots and eggs to a pot of water, cover with lid and bring to the boil
- Once the water is boiling rapidly, reduce the heat to low, cove with lid and let it gently boil
- Remove eggs after 12 minutes, crack their skin and place them in a pot with ice cold water for a few minutes. This will make them easier to peel later.
- Keep boiling potatoes and carrots for another 13 minutes or till the potatoes are done. (Pierce potatoes with a sharp knife and if it pushes in easily without any resistance in the center they are done and ready for consumption
- Pore potatoes, carrots and water into a colander (optional - catch the excess water in a pot and use it later to water garden plants or for your compost)
- Dice the carrots and put aside for now
- Add butter and milk to the hot potatoes and mesh them well
- Use a big plate or board to build your layered herring salad
- Use the potato mash as the bottom layer. It should be about 2.5 cm / inch in thickness, but a bit thicker or thinner will be fine as well
- Cover the potatoes with a layer of mayonnaise
- Use the diced herring as the next layer and cover it with a layer of mayonnaise
- Use the diced eggs as the next layer and cover them with a layer of mayonnaise
- Use the diced onions and garlic as the next layer and cover them with a layer of mayonnaise
- Use carrot slices, gherkin slices, small white onion and the beetroot slices to decorate your Shuba dressed herring salad
- Cover carefully with a cloth or cling wrap and place for at least 2 hours in the fridge
Return to the Home page
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.