Red Lentil Soup
This vegan red lentil soup is quick to prepare, filling and very delicious. It is prepared with coconut milk, chard, the worlds hottest chili powder and a few other wholesome and healthy ingredients.
The soup takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and can easily serve as a satisfying main course.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Resting time: 0 minutes
Total time needed: 30 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: standard
This soup recipe was inspired by Ergobiene. I adapted it to suit our personal taste. You can find her recipe in German language here.
Red Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped (or to taste)
- 400 gram / 14.1 oz. red lentils
- 1 x 410 gram / 14.4 oz. can peeled potatoes with juice
- 1 x 410 gram / 14.4 oz. can coconut milk
- 2 tsp. granulated vegetable stock
- 800 ml / 27 oz water
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/8 tsp. Carolina Reaper chilli powder (optional - if you can't get hold of carolina reaper powder use 1.5 tsp. cayenne pepper instead)
- 50 gram / 1.7 oz. swiss chard, stalks removed and greens roughly chopped
- Add coconut oil to a large pot and turn stove to medium heat
- Add onions and saute for 5 minutes or till they begin to change color, stirring them regularly
- Add garlic and lentils, stir well and saute for another minute
- Now add water, peeled tomatoes and coconut milk to quench the heat,stir well, cover with lid and once the soup is beginning to boil, reduce heat to low
- Add turmeric powder, salt, cumin powder and Carolina Reaper chili, stir briefly, cover pot with lid and let the soup gently simmer for 15 minutes
- Add chopped swiss chard to the soup, stir briefly, cover again with the lid and simmer for another 5 minutes
- Switch stove of and serve lentil soup hot with slices of freshly baked bread
Healthy Green Soup
Baked Exotic Chicken Soup
Return to the Home Page
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.