Red Herring Salad
Red Herring Salad / Roter Heringssalat is a traditional German dish made from pickled fish, apple, beetroot, pickled gherkins, fruit and a few condiments. Herrings are
pelagic baitfish that are common in the Baltic Sea, North Pacific and Atlantic oceans and the West coast of South America. They are important food fish in middle and northern Europe and are enjoyed in many parts of the world. For this recipe you can use either Bismarck herring, Rollmops, Matjies or Herring Baltic style. All 4 variations are pickled and popular in Germany and the Nations around the Baltic sea.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: at least 50 minutes
Resting time: at least 60 minutes
Total time needed: at least 1 H 20 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: standard
Red Herring Salad
- 6 Herring fillets, diced
- 100 ml / 3.4 oz pickling juice from Herring jar (optional)
- 6 sweet and sour gherkins, diced
- 6 hardboiled eggs, diced
- 1 crisp sweet and sour apple, diced
- 2 cups of pineapple, diced
- 2 small onions, peeled and diced
- 500 gram / 17.6 oz beetroot, pickled or fresh
- 375 ml / 12.7 oz sour cream
- 375 ml / 12.7 oz full cream yoghurt
- 1 bunch of dill, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- If you use fresh beetroots, chop the leaves and the root of and steam them in a large pot for 40 minutes or till they are done. Remove beetroot from the heat and let them cool down a little. Than peel the beetroot. (If you want to use pickled beetroot you can skip this step completely and just chop the pickled beetroot)
- In large pot bring water to the boil and boil eggs for 10 minutes, move eggs into a pot with cold water and let them cool down there for 10 minutes before you peel the eggs
- Chop eggs, beetroot, apple, pineapple, onions, herring and dill
- Add all chopped ingredients to a large bowl and mix them well
- Add sour cream and full cream yoghurt and mix all ingredients.
- You should definitely be able to taste the fish and the
- salad should have a sweet and sour taste as a whole and be colored light to deep red
- If you want adjust the taste by adding some pickling liquid from the herring jar and or the gherkin jar and a little sugar
- Mix ingredients again and let the salad rest for at least one hour or even better overnight
Serve Red Herring Salad with slices of black bread, brown bread or jacket potatoes.
Hamburger Lobscouse / Labskaus
Cape Farm Style Pickled Fish
Return to the Home page
Herring as food
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.