Pan Fried Potatoes
Farm Style pan fried potatoes with beef mince, pickled onions, gherkins and eggs is a traditional German delight that originated on farms in the rural areas of Germany. It consists of inexpensive healthy
ingredients and can be found in many varieties depending on the food at hand. You should however always include a fair amount of pickled vegetables to the recipe. The dish is regarded as an easy potato recipe that can be enjoyed at any time of the day.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: at least 30 minutes
Resting time: 0 minutes
Total time needed: 45 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: standard
Farm Style Pan Fried Potatoes
- 1 kg / 2.2 lbs. potatoes, cut into thin slices
- 5 tbs. lard
- 200 gram / 7 oz beef or pork mince
- 2 medium sized onions, halved and sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed (or to taste)
- 4 eggs
- 2 spring onions, chopped into rings
- 1 small glass of sweet and sour gherkins, cut into long strips
- 1 small glass of white pickled cocktail onions
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place lard in a large nonstick skillet on a stove and warm it up on medium heat
- Spice mince with salt, pepper and fry it in the skillet for about 5 minutes, stirring it regularly till it becomes brown and crumbly
- Pore the mince and oil through a strainer and catch the lard in a fireproof bowl or a pot. Put mince aside for later use and add the lard and fat from mince back to the skillet
- Add potato slices and spice them with salt, pepper, cumin powder and chili powder, stir and fry the potatoes for about 10 minutes, turning them regularly
- Add onions, garlic and bay leaf and fry contents of pan for another 10 minutes or till potatoes are done and onions are soft and are beginning to change color
- Add mince, gherkins and pickled cocktail onions to the pan, stir well
- Add eggs sunny side up on top and fry all for an additional 5 minutes or till eggs are done
- Sample potatoes and if needed add more spices to taste
- Garnish pan fried potatoes with spring onion rings and serve hot
Schmurks - Mama's Green Bean Stew
Hamburger Labskaus / Lobscouse
Potatoes with Eggs and Chard
Return to the Home Page
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.