Nasi goreng is a traditional Indonesian and Malaysian rice
dish. Rice is first steamed and once it
has cooled down stir fried and combined with seafood like shrimps, meat,
famous chili spice paste "Sambal Oelek" and a variety of other fragrant spices.
Ingredients for Nasi Goreng
- Some sesame oil or other available oil for frying,
- 400 g / 14 oz. chicken skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 250 g / 8.8 oz. shrimps
- 250 g / 8.8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- 200 g / 7 oz. green peas
- 3 medium sized onions, sliced
- 1 small leek, washed and sliced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into long strips
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
- A 2.5 cm / 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 piece of lemon grass, chopped fine
- 2 fried eggs, sunny side up or scrambled depending on your preference
- 3 tbs. good Soy sauce
- 1 tsp. Sambal oelek, (or more if you like it spicier)
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 3 dried curry leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare rice at least 2 to 3 hours before you start with the other ingredients. Boil rice in water spiced with a little salt and turmeric. Once it's done take it off the stove and let it cool down
- Add some oil to a wok or large pan and fry the chicken pieces till they are nicely browned. Remove them from the pan and keep them aside in a bowl
- Fry onions, carrots, ginger and garlic in the same oil till onions are becoming soft
- Add bell pepper, mushrooms and leeks, mix well and fry for a few more minutes, once the mushrooms start to become soft
- Add shrimps and peas, mix all ingredients well and fry all for another 2 to 3 more minutes
- Lastly add rice, chicken pieces, soy sauce and all spices, mix all ingredients, cover the wok or pan with the lid and let it cook genltly for 4 to 5 minutes, stir occasionally
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Switch of the heat and let pot stand for another few minutes while you fry a few eggs in another pan.
Serve hot with fried eggs on top.
Return to the home page
Madras chicken curry
Mexican Chicken Enchiladas
Doro Wat - Traditional Spicy Ethiopian Chicken Stew
More information about Nasi Goreng
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.