Mixed Mushroom Sauce
This mixed mushroom sauce was the perfect treat for a cold and rainy evening. I always loved mushrooms and after we recently found out that they are not only very delicious but many of them are offering great health benefits as well I will surely have them even more regularly on the menu.
The mushrooms we used for this sauce are the common white button mushroom, the shiitake mushroom which apart from having a wonderful taste of its own is recognized as a great medicinal mushroom which amongst others fights obesity, destroys cancer cells and supports the immune function of the body.
The third mushroom we used was the Chinese black and white mushroom.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Resting time: 0 minutes
Total time needed: 40 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: standard
Mixed Mushroom Sauce
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil of your choice
- 250 grams / 8.81 oz. button mushrooms, some whole, some halved and sliced
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in water for at least 5 hours
- 1 handful of black and white Chinese mushrooms, sliced into thin strips
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp.granulated vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. plain paprika powder
- 1/8 tsp. Carolina Reaper chili powder
- 1 cup fresh / heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. corn flour / maize meal
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tsp. dried mixed herbs
- Add 2 tbsp. of olive oil and the shopped garlic to a small bowl and soak the garlic in the oil for several minutes. Put bowl aside for the time being
- Add the rest of the olive oil to a large skillet / pan and switch stove to medium hot heat
- Add button and shiitake mushrooms and saute for 8 to 10 minutes or till the button mushrooms are beginning to brown and become soft, stirring frequently
- Add black and white mushrooms and saute all for another minute
- Add paprika, salt and pepper and stir briefly
- Mix cream with the corn flour and whisk till there are no lumps left
- Add cream to the skillet and once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to low, add Carolina Reaper chili and the vegetable stock, stir, cover with lid and gently simmer the sauce for 20 minutes
- Add mixed herbs, stir well and take sauce pan of the heat
- Serve hot with either french fries, boiled potatoes, pasta, steamed rice or bread dumplings
Return from the page "mixed mushroom sauce" to the Home Page
Health benefits of the Shiitake mushroom
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.