Turkish Lentil Soup
Mercimek corbasi is a Turkish lentil soup that is tasty and full of health benefits. It is easy to prepare
and can serve as a satisfying main course for lunch or supper.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: at least 40 minutes
Resting time: 8 hours
Total time needed: at least 9 hours
Grade of Difficulty: standard
- 250 gram / 8.8 oz. red or brown lentils, soaked in water
- 6 cups of water
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 100 gram / 3.5 oz tomato paste
- 1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1 chicken stock cube (optional use a vegetable stock cube instead)
- 1 pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 leveled tbsp. plain paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
- Soak the lentils for about 8 hours in a jar with water
- Drain excess water off and add lentils to a large pot
- Add water, carrots, onion garlic, potatoes, salt, pepper and the stock cube to the pot, cover with lid and bring on medium heat to the boil
- Reduce the heat and let the soup gently simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until the potatoes and lentils are done
- Take soup of the heat and let it cool down for 5 minutes
- Add soup to a food processor and blend into a smooth and thickish soup
- Add soup back into the pot and bring back to a gentle simmer
- Add paprika powder, chilli and tomato paste, stir well and simmer for another 10 minutes
- Sample the soup and if desired add salt to taste
Serve hot with slices of buttered bread or pita bread.
Indian Dhal with Chard and Sweet Potatoes
Andhra Fish Curry
Return to the Home Page
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.