Mamas Potato Leek Soup
Mamas potato leek soup is a great dish for cold evenings or as a starter or main meal at birthday parties and other festivities.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: at least 30 minutes
Resting time: 0 minutes
Total time needed: at least 60 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: standard
This recipe was inspired by kwr57. You can find their recipe in German language here
Mamas Potato Leek soup
- 800 gram / 1.76 pounds potatoes, diced
- 300 gram / 10.5 oz. carrots, cleaned, and diced
- 400 gram / 14.1 oz. leeks, sliced and washed
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1.25 liter / 5.2 cups chicken stock
- 150 gram / 5.25 oz. celery, finely chopped
- 100 gram / 3.5 oz. fresh garden peas, defrosted
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped,
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1.5 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- A tiny pinch of Carolina Reaper chili flakes (optional) This is a very tasty but super hot chili, just use the tip of a small sharp knife or the tip of the handle of a teaspoon to measure the right amount
- 300 gram / 10.5 oz. smoked sausage like Mettenden, Cabanossi or Chourico sliced
- Take about a quarter of the potatoes, leeks, carrots and garlic and place them in a bowl for the time being
- Heat some oil in a large soup pot and saute the bulk of the potatoes and the other vegetables (except the peas) in it for a few minutes
- Next add the chicken stock and garlic, cover pot with a lid and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes
- Take pot of the heat and let soup cool down a little
- Add soup in batches to a food processor and blend to a thickish and smooth consistency
- Return the soup back to the pot and heat it up again
- Add the rest of the potatoes, leeks, carrots and garlic to the pot and stir briefly
- Add the heavy cream, salt, pepper, carolina reaper, cover with lid and simmer for 15 minutes
- During this time heat some oil in a skillet and stir fry the smoked sausage pieces till they are nicely done
- Add the peas, smoked sausage pieces with the remaining oil and oregano, stir all briefly, cover with lid and simmer for an additional 5 minutes
- Switch stove off and let the soup stand on the stove plate for 5 minutes
Serve Mamas potato leek soup hot with buttered slices of freshly baked bread and for those that would like to add some extra flavor offer some of Maggie's all purpose seasoning.
Sweet Potato Soup ala Alicia
South African Butternut Soup
Exotic Chicken Soup
Return to the Home Page
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.