Lentil Tomato Soup
This vegan "Lentil Tomato Soup" recipe is one of my favorites and full of health benefits and delicious flavors. Have a look
at the amazing benefits of both lentils at the bottom of the page.
Lentils are often overlooked as a great source of protein that is filling, tasty and has only a few calories. In this recipe they harmonize beautifully in combination with peeled tomatoes and the other wholesome ingredients.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: at least 40 minutes
Resting time: 0 hours
Total time needed: 55 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: easy
Lentil Tomato Soup
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 5 tbs. of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 x 400 gram / 14 oz tins of peeled tomatoes, drained of extra liquids
- 1 medium to large onion, halved and chopped into think half moons
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- I sprig of soup celery, diced and leaves discarded
- 1/2 cup of green garden peas
- 7 small cloves of garlic, chopped fine, or to taste
- 1/2 cup of swiss chard, stems removed and leaves chopped roughly
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 cups of hot water
- 3 tbs. of chives, chopped
- 2 tsp. of fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tbs. dark balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1 heaped tsp. madras curry powder or hot curry powder of your choice
- 2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- Add oil to a large pot on the stove and switch hotplate to medium heat
- Once the oil is warm (don't let it burn) add onions, carrots and celery to the pot, cover with lid and while stirring them regularly braise the vegetables for about 5 minutes or till onions are soft and beginning to change color
- Add garlic, cumin powder, curry powder, chilli powder, salt and thyme, stir and braise for about 1 minute
- Add the peeled tomatoes and using a wooden spoon break them up while you are stirring the contents of the pot. Cover with lid and braise all for 5 minutes
- Now add lentils, peas, water, black pepper and vegetable stock, cover with lid and bring soup to the boil
- When it begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and gently simmer the soup for 25 minutes
- When the soup is nearly done, carefully ladle about 1 liter / 4.1 cups of the soup into a food processor and blend it into a smooth liquid (Handle the hot soup with care to prevent getting burned)
- Add the smooth liquid back to the rest of the soup in the pot
- Add swiss chard and most of the chives to the soup, stir briefly, cover pot with lid, switch of the stove and let the soup rest for another 5 minutes
- Pour hot Lentil tomato soup into bowls and serve together with buttered slices of freshly baked bread
This recipe was inspired by Kate from Cookie +Kate. She has one of my favourite food blogs. You can find her recipe for this soup which I tweaked to suit my personal taste here.
Indian Dhal with chard and sweet potatoes
Sweet Potato Soup als Alicia
7 Health Benefits of Lentils
Return to the Home Page
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.