Hungarian goulash and pörkölt are both from the same family of dishes that have amongst their main ingredients meat (pork, beef or mutton are popular in different parts of the world), paprika,
onions and bell peppers. They are world famous and originated hundreds of years ago in Hungary. I am lucky to have 2 friends that grew up in Budapest who love good food and inspired me to explore the Hungarian cuisine.
This recipe was inspired by xXEnricoXx. The link to his German recipe is here
· 500 g / 1.1 pounds fresh beef goulash or stewing beef)
· 1 large onion, chopped fine
· 5 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
· 1 tbs. chopped celery
· 1 handful dried Shiitake mushrooms, halved or quartered
· 120g / 4.2 oz tomato paste
· 1 heaped tsp. beef stock
· ½ tsp. sweet mild paprika powder
· ¼ tsp. hot paprika powder
· 70g / 2.46 oz sweet fresh peppers chopped into small cubes
· A little ground black pepper
· A little oregano
· ¼ tsp. cumin/jeera powder or ½ tsp. ground cumin seeds
· Salt to taste
· Juice of half a small lemon
· Pork fat or Sunflower oil
Serve it hot with pasta or potatoes.
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.
Jun 16, 18 11:14 AM
Today I decided to prepare a succulent Springbok goulash for us. Living in South Africa we have a great variety of game and venison meat to choose from and Springbok is always a good choice.
Jun 15, 18 12:29 PM
Check our the Top 30 recipes of 2017 of LookingatCooking. These recipes were the most popular with our visitors. So have a look if you find some inspiration for your next meal.
Jun 15, 18 10:32 AM
This Leberwurst / liver spread is made with chicken livers, chicken breast fillets onion, garlic as well as selected herbs and spices. Leberwurst is a traditional soft paste like sausage that is used…