Herring salad is a traditional German dish that tickles the taste buds. It is full of fresh and healthy ingredients and easy and quick
to prepare. With step by step instructions.
You can use any pickled herring like Matjies, Baltic or Bismarck herring for the salad. I used Bismarck herring fillets and baltic herrings. Make sure to use only the freshest ingredients which will increase the taste a lot.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Resting time: 0 minutes
Total time needed: 55 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: easy
Herring Salad Ingredients
- 4 bismarck herring fillets, diced
- 5 baltic herring fillets, diced
- 3 medium sized potatoes, cooked and diced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 3 medium sized gherkins, diced
- 2 red onions, diced
- 1 sweet and sour crisp apple like Granny Smith or Pink Crips, seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 cup of pickled juice from Bismarck Herring jar
- 1 cup of fresh apple juice (optional - use 100% apple juice from store instead)
- 8 small yellow or red tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbs. capers
- 1 tbs. brown sugar
- 1 bunch of fresh dill, chopped fine
- 1 handful sun flower seeds
- 1 handful sesame seeds
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Add potatoes and 1 tsp. of salt into a pot with water and bring to the boil. Cover with lid and let potatoes simmer for 25 minutes or till they are cooked through
- While potatoes are boiling bring apple juice to the boil in another pot and let is simmer for 20 minutes to reduce the liquid
- Take potatoes out of the water and let them cool down for 15 minutes
- Take apple juice of the stove and let it cool down for 15 minutes
- Once apple juice and potatoes have cooled down mix them with all the other ingredients in a big bowl and serve.
You might want to prepare the salad in advance and let it rest for a few hours for the flavors to blend and harmonize even better. Just cover it with a cloth and place it in the fridge.
Sahnehering / Pickled Herring in fresh cream sauce
Pickled Herring with Beetroot
Cape Farm Style Pickled Fish
History of Herring dishes
Return to the Home Page
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.