Hake in Cinnamon Sesame Crust on
Hake in cinnamon sesame crust on pineapple chilli grape salad is brimming with delicious flavors and health benefitting ingredients. This is easily one of my favorite recipes. The combination of fruity
and savory ingredients is amazing. The dish is very quick and easy to prepare and apart from being healthy and flatout yummy it is a feast for the eyes as well.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 6 minutes
Resting time: 30 minutes
Total time needed: at least 56 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: standard
Hake in Cinnamon Sesame Crust
- 600 gram / 21 oz hake fillets (sushi quality)
- 1 tbs. cinnamon powder
- 2 tbs. sesame seeds
- 2 tbs. black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. of fish sauce (optional)
- Salt, freshly ground black pepper and paprika powder to taste
For the Salad
- 1 pineapple, skinned and cut into cubes
- 1 cup of red seedless grapes, washed and halved
- 1 cup of black seedless grapes, washed and halved
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and cut into cubes
- 2 small red cayenne chilli peppers, deseeded and chopped fine
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 1 handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing
- Add all the fruit, vegetables and herbs for the pineapple chilli grape salad to a large salad bowl and mix well
- Prepare the salad dressing as follows. in a jar with lid or a fruit processor, blend 3 tbs. olive oil, 2 tbs. white or dark balsamic vinegar, 2 tbs. water, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. brown sugar.
- Add the salad dressing to the salad and mix well. Put salad aside for now and let it rest for about 30 minutes
For the hake fillets
- While the salad is resting prepare the hake fillets as follows
- cut hake fillets into blocks that can be cut into thin slices once they have been fried
- Mix cinnamon, salt, pepper and paprika powder in a large bowl
- Add all the sesame seeds to another large bowl
- Place a little fish sauce in a small bowl
- Roll the hake pieces on all sides in the cinnamon spice mix
- Use a teaspoon to lightly sprinkle some of the fish sauce over the fish pieces to keep the skin moist. This is needed so the sesame seeds can stick to the fish. (Optional - If the hake fillets are moist enough you can skip this step)
- Carefully roll the fish pieces in the sesame seeds, making sure that all the sides are covered well.
- Add some extra virgin olive oil to a large pan. Switch stove to medium heat
- Once the oil is warm (not hot) add the hake fillets to the pan, cover with lid and braise them for 4 minutes
- Carefully turn them around and braise them for another 2 minutes on the other side. Switch of the stove, Take a sharp knife and push it through the fish fillet on its thickest part. If the knife cuts easily through the fillet the fish is done and you should swiftly remove it. Alternatively keep it in the pan for another minute. Not longer otherwise the fish might fall apart when you try to remove it from the pan.
- Place fish pieces on a large cutting board and cut them carefully into slices
- Place hake in cinnamon sesame crust on top of the salad and serve immediately
Kerala Fish Curry
Cape Farm Style Pickled Fish
Return from Hake in cinnamon sesame crust to the Home page
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.