Thai Green Chicken Curry
A Thai green chicken curry is always a welcome dish for my loved ones. There is something special about Thai food that draws us back time and again for more. In
addition to chicken breasts, This
curry has as well straw mushrooms and winter bamboo shoots as main
ingredients which gives it an interesting array of textures and flavors.To save time I used a commercially available green curry paste as a basis for the dish which did not influence the taste of the dish negatively at all. Those ready made pastes are these days available in many Asian supermarkets and most grocery chain stores as well.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: at least 60 minutes
Resting time: 0 minutes
Total time needed: at least 1 H 15 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: standard
Thai Green Chicken Curry
- 700 gram / 1.5 lbs chicken breast fillets, cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 120 gram / 4 oz of mixed mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 200 gram / 7.05 oz canned straw mushrooms, drained
- 100 ml / 3.5 oz straw mushroom juice
- 1 x 400 ml / 13.5 oz can of winter bamboo shoots, liquids drained and cut into long pieces
- 1 bunch of spring onions, chopped into rings
- 1 x 400 ml / 13.5 oz tin of coconut milk
- 12 fresh green beans, both ends cut off
- 3 tbsp green curry paste
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, dried
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped fine (optional - or to taste)
- 1 heaped tbsp palm sugar (optional - use brown sugar if you can't get hold of palm sugar)
- 1 steak knife tip Carolina Reaper chili powder, (optional - use more if you like your curry very spicy)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 cup of fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Add the oil to a large skillet / pan on the stove and set the hot plate to medium heat
the oil is hot add green beans and chicken pieces, cover with lid and braise them
for 5 minutes, stirring them once or twice during this time
garlic, chilies, all mushrooms, bamboo shoots, spring onions, chili and curry paste, cover with lid and braise all
for another 5 minutes, stir the curry gently once or twice during this
- Add lime leaves, coconut milk, palm sugar, mushroom juice and fish sauce, cover pan with lid again
- Once the curry is beginning to boil, reduce the heat and let it gently simmer for 40 minutes, stirring it a few times during this time
- Sample the curry and adjust taste to suit your preferences
- Switch of the stove, cover with lid again and let the curry stand for another 3 to 4 minutes on the stove
Serve the Thai green chicken curry hot with steamed rice.
Thai Red Curry
Return to the Home Page
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.