Fresh Tomato Soup
This fresh tomato soup recipe is quick and easy to prepare, full of goodness and oh so tasty. It's a wonderful recipe for lovers of vegetarian and vegan food.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: at least 45 minutes
Resting time: 0 minutes
Total time needed: at least 60 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: standard
This recipe was inspired by djbaraka. I adapted the recipe to suit my personal taste. You can find his recipe in German language here.
Fresh Tomato Soup
- 1.2 kg / 2.6 pounds fresh and ripe tomatoes, peeled
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, washed and chopped into rings
- 1 leek, halved lengthwise, cut into slices and washed
- 1 soup celery stick, diced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp. Carolina Reaper chili powder (optional)
- With a sharp knife cut a cross at the bottom of each tomato and place them in a large pot with at least 8 cups of boiling hot water
- Let tomatoes rest for approximately 8 to 10 minutes before removing them with a slotted spoon
- Let tomatoes cool down for 5 minutes before carefully removing their skins
- While the tomatoes are soaking in the hot water add olive oil to a large pot on the stove and warm it up on medium hot heat
- Add the diced onions and saute them for about 10 minutes or till they are beginning to brown
- Add tomato paste,garlic, leeks, spring onion, Carolina Reaper chili powder and celery and saute all for another 3 minutes
- Now add the tomatoes and squash them carefully with a potato masher
- Add the vegetable stock, salt and pepper, cover with lid and bring all to the boil
- Once the soup ingredients are beginning to boil, reduce the heat and gently simmer the soup for 30 minutes, stirring it occasionally
- Use hand blender to blend all ingredients until soup has a smooth consistency
- Add all the dry herbs and 3/4 of the chopped parsley to the soup, cover with lid and let it simmer for another 5 minutes
- Sample the soup and if desired add salt and pepper or chili to taste. (Be warned Carolina Reaper chili powder is extremely spicy and it is very easy to add to much of this good thing)
- Take of the oven and serve the fresh tomato soup with buttered slices of freshly baked bread or a homemade tuna melt.
Healthy Green Soup
Mamas Cucumber Soup
Fruity and Spicy Cape Vegetable Casserole
Return to the Home Page
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.