Clear Meat Broth
This lovely German clear meat broth recipe is prepared with juicy and succulent beef, bones, soup greens and green Eierstich (Specially prepared Eggs) that add nutrition, taste and visual appeal to this hearty soup. Enjoy it just with the egg and meat or add soup vegetables and some soup pasta to make it more filling.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: at least 120 minutes
Resting time: 0 minutes
Total time needed: at least 2 H 15 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: standard
clear meat broth
- 1 liter / 4 cups of beef stock
- 1 liter / 4 cups of water
- 600 gram / 21 oz stewing beef with bones
- 1 large onion with skin
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 turnip, sliced
- 1 leek, washed and sliced into rings
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove
- 5 cloves of garlic (use less if you prefer)
- A little nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place water and beef stock in a large pot
- Add meat and soup vegetables to the pot, cover with a lid and switch on the stove to medium heat. It is very important to add the meat to the cold water otherwise you risk that the broth will become cloudy
- Let the soup slowly warm up till it starts to gently boil. Reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for 60 minutes, using a strainer 3 or 4 times to remove the brownish broth from the surface of the soup.
- While the soup is gently simmering you can prepare the Green Eierstich
- After 1 hour add the bay leaf, clove, garlic, nutmeg to the pot and let everything simmer for another 45 minutes
- Now remove Meat, bones and soup vegetables from the pot
- Separate the meat from the bones and place it back into the soup.
- Next add the Green Eierstich
- Add 1/2 cup of soup pasta to the soup (optional)
- Let the soup gently simmer for another 10 minutes
- Add a little parsley and some of the diced carrot to the clear meat broth soup just before you want to serve it.
Eat hot with slices of buttered brown bread or toast.
Return to the home page
A traditional German condiment to clear broths and soups
Spicy Chicken Soup
Traditional South African Butternut Soup
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.