Chicken Rogan Josh
This Chicken Rogan josh recipe is prepared in the traditional Kashmiri way with lots of fragrant spices and wholesome ingredients that will combine into a super tasty meaty dish with a mouthwatering and spicy gravy.
Roghan josh which this dish is sometimes written as well originated apparently in Persia and was introduced by the Mughals hundreds of years ago and has now become a staple food in Kashmir. It is most commonly prepared with lamb or goat meat but as we are trying to reduce our red meat intake I used chicken pieces instead and added for further taste and health benefits some re hydrated Shiitake mushrooms. This dish is even for Indian standards intensely spiced.
But as we all know that most spices are coming with a lot of health benefits and the fact that they are tasting so awesome is definitely a reason to go for this dish.
Chicken Rogan Josh
- 10 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 2.5 cm / 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 900 grams / 1.98 pounds chicken pieces including breast fillets, cut into cubes and small pieces
- 8 fresh or re hydrated shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 fresh curry leaf
- 8 green cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 5 cloves
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1.5 tsp. cumin powder
- 2 tsp. Guntur chili powder - optional use 1 tsp. Cayenne pepper instead
- 1/8 tsp. Carolina Reaper chili powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 4 tsp. plain paprika powder
- 3 dried apricots
- 1/2 cup low fat yogurt
- 1/4 tsp. garum masala
- Parsley, roughly chopped to garnish (optional - use coriander leaves instead)
- Add oil to a large skillet / pan and switch stove to medium hot heat
- Add meat pieces and braise for 8 minutes or till all sides are slightly browned, stirring frequently
- Add onions and braise for another 8 minutes or till onions have begun to brown, stirring frequently
- Add garlic, ginger and shiitake mushrooms and braise for 2 minutes
- Add bay leaves, curry leaf, green cardamom pods, cinnamon powder, cloves, black pepper, chili powders, coriander powder, salt, plain paprika powder and dried apricots, stir well and braise for 2 minutes
- Add water and yogurt, mix well with all ingredients and cover with lid to bring all to a boil
- Once Chicken rogan josh is beginning to boil, reduce heat to low and let all simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Switch of the stove, add garum masala and let stand for at least 5 minutes
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot with steamed rice or naan bread
Note: Like many other curries this dish tastes even better if it has matured over night and the ingredients and spices have had time to blend better.
Banana Chicken Curry
Banana chicken curry in white bowl
Return to the Home page
What is Rogan Josh?
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.