Chicken Mushroom Sauce
Spirelli with Chicken mushroom sauce is a classic Italian pasta dish that conquered the world and is certainly one of my favorite comfort foods as well. I am an absolute mushroom lover and am
always looking forward to the mushroom picking season where I can go into the forests to hunt for my favorite porcini and chanterelles mushrooms. Those forest mushrooms have just another dimension of deliciousness to them :-). But if you can't get hold of freshly picked mushrooms, commercially available button mushrooms are a great treat too.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: at least 30 minutes
Resting time: 0 minutes
Total time needed: 40 minutes
Grade of Difficulty: easy
Chicken Mushroom Sauce
- 500 gram / 1 lbs. button mushrooms or mushrooms of your choice, quartered and / or sliced
- 500 gram 1 lbs. chicken breast fillets, cut into strips
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed, (optional use more or less to suit your personal taste)
- 50 gram / 1.8 oz of butter
- 2 cups of fresh cream
- 1 tbs. dried origanum
- 3 tbs. fresh fennel leaves, chopped
- 1 pinch of nutmeg or mace
- 1 tsp. regular paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper or 1/2 a cayenne chilli, chopped fine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 500 gram / 1 lbs. Spirelli / Fusilli or your pasta of choice
- On the stove place half the fresh cream, half the origanum and the fennel in a saucepan, cover with lid and on medium heat bring cream to a gentle boil
- Take of the heat and put aside for later use
Cream with fennel and origanum
- Melt butter in a skillet and gently saute chicken, mushrooms and garlic for about 10 minutes or till chicken is beginning to turn golden brown
- Spice with salt, pepper, paprika powder, and cayenne pepper, while stirring, braise for a minute
- Add fennel origanum cream and the uncooked cream to the pan, cover with lid, once the sauce begins to boil, reduce the heat and let sauce gently simmer for 15 minutes
- In the meantime cook Spirelli pasta according to description on the packet
- Once the time is up, sample the sauce and if desired add more salt and pepper to taste
- Place spirelli pasta and chicken mushroom sauce in a soup bowl, garnish with some fresh fennel and enjoy
mushrooms sour cream and cider sauce
Questions and Suggestions about Cooking and Food
Do you have a question, or a helpful suggestion or a story to share that could benefit other cooking enthusiasts? Please feel free to share it with us!
Share your favorite recipes with the world!
Share your recipe - You got a favorite dish? Is there a recipe that your mum or your granny always cooked for you that you remember from your childhood? Share it with the world! The 20 most popular recipes of each month will be published on a dedicated page for everybody to see.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.